Soho Foundry remains one of the most important sites relating to the Industrial Revolution, especially as the site is still in operation developing new technologies. Thus the site encompasses the entire history of Industrial development. The Avery Historical Museum was opened at Soho Foundry in 1927 and there has been sporadic development of the museum ever since.
The present curator – Andrew Lound – has been tasked with developing the museum to make it more accessible to the public and to incorporate a heritage Centre for Soho Foundry itself.
The project involves moving the museum collection to the Victorian buildings erected on site in 1898 by W & T Avery Limited. These buildings will house the entire history of weighing collection, a temporary exhibition area, a library for the extensive collection of books, an archive, a lecture cum school room. The 1801 workers’ cottages are to be utilized as the Soho Foundry Heritage Centre.
The front rooms of the cottages are to be converted for display areas depicting different eras of the cottages with no 13 being William Murdock’s era, next door the cottage will depict the old ARP headquarters. The cottages nearest Foundry Lane which have been knocked into one will be a large display area depicting the History of Soho Foundry along with models of the site as it has developed.
In order to obtain funding for this exciting development the Museum needs to recruit more volunteers to the FRIENDS OF SOHO FOUNDRY, the museum’s volunteer team.
Volunteers are required to help with decoration, specialist advice, cataloguing, cleaning artefacts etc – the whole range of museum activity. Once the museum is established in the Victorian building, facilities will be available for events for the volunteer team and associated interest groups.
Anyone interested should contact Andrew Lound, Museum Curator on 0121 568 1667 or firstname.lastname@example.org.